About Me

My Photo
You can email me at indiequeen87@googlemail.com

Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Afternoon Tea at Hotel La Tour

Today's song: Elbow- The Birds

It was in a state of great excitement that Edd and I set off to Hotel La Tour last Saturday. I had heard marvellous things about it via Twitter and various blogs and now we were finally going to see for ourselves. It was our five year anniversary last week and this seemed a fitting way to celebrate. I was particularly interested in the Rarebit dip and interesting cocktails I had heard so much about.

Hotel La Tour is a newish, shiny hotel near where the HS2 rail station will be if that ever happens. Edd and I have been twice before for food and the second time was better than the first. The hotel has a vaguely airport-ish vibe to it which is a clever nod to the name without being cheesy. The afternoon tea is available daily in the bar which is attached to the restaurant and is about nineteen pound per person without alcohol.

Edd and I started with a glass of champagne and decided to have a cocktail later (I don't think people usually have a second alcoholic drink as this seemed to cause much confusion amongst the staff- they were worried we thought the alcoholic drinks were complimentary).

Our food arrived and was placed on a stylish stand. We both had earl grey tea and this was served in a giant teapot! But onto the food...

 
The savoury (i.e. less interesting) section had the standard set of dainty sandwiches, which were all fine. But what about the exciting dip? It was as good as I've heard and better. A cheesy Welsh Rarebit sauce with delicious breadsticks to dip it in!! Nom nom nom! I could have eaten it all day. I spotted on the bar snacks menu that you can buy this separately so I may have to do so.


 

The scones were dinky which is good. Two plain and two fruit. A good amount of jam and cream.

By this time I needed a little break, so we sipped our teas and champagnes and undid belt buckles etc. Onto the exciting selection of cakes and desserts. From what I could tell from internet reviews these
change seasonally instead of just chucking the same old cupcakes out all the time.


I started with the honey and almond marshmallow. Nice texture but I didn't get the honey. Next, the fruit tart and then the brownie. Both fine. I was saving the best til last....


Lemon curd topped with swiss meringue. Oh my. This was delightful and I was glad I had a little break before eating it so I could fully enjoy it!!


All in all this was a lovely way to spend an afternoon for a special treat. This is definitely the best afternoon tea I have experienced. Thank you Hotel La Tour!



We paid for this ourselves and are not connected in any way with Hotel La Tour.
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

Kezzie said...

Sounds good! Though I disagree with you-the sandwiches are the best part!! X

Telina A said...

The food looks lovely! Sounds like you had a great time :) x

Telina | Love, Telina

Temporary:Secretary said...

I love it when there's something different on the tiers, like the marshmallow. Looks so yummy! x

The Brunette said...

Oh my gosh that looks lovely x