About Me

My Photo

Primary school teacher, making the most of the weekends. Blogging about the best of Birmingham, food, cocktails and dresses!

Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Meat-Free Tuesdays

Today's Song: Elbow- One Day Like This

For the past few months, I have been trying to eat at least one meat-free evening meal per week. It's not really health based but mainly about expanding my food horizons! Avoiding meat means being adventurous or being bored. We started by using quorn instead of meat in curries/fajitas etc but quickly realized that it didn't agree with Edd for some reason.

Luckily it's 2014 and Pinterest exists! BBC Good Food has also been super helpful as it always is. I sent off for a PETA booklet but it basically said 'use quorn'. Thanks PETA but I'm trying to be imaginative here!

So, here are some of my favourite meat-free meals. Most of them are very simple and use basic ingredients that you can get in Tesco or similar.

Gnocchi and Tomato Bake

Gnocchi & tomato bake

This is from BBC Good Food. I don't really like pasta and gnocchi is an excellent alternative. I haven't tried making my own yet. The sauce in this recipe is delicious and contains lots of tomatoes. I don't use as much cheese as in the picture.

Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes


quinoa stuffed wp Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes + Giveaway

This is from a website called Diethood which I found via Pinterest. It was my first attempt at using Quinoa which gets a bit of stick for being a sort of hippyish middle-class thing to eat. "Oh Saskia loves quinoa, she'd rather eat it than chips any day!"  (The implication being that your child is more civilised  than most and so, by extension, you are a better parent) But it's actually really delicious, filling and soaks up  flavours like no one's business. This is a great website anyway- stuffed peppers also feature!

Spinach and Goats Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms.

Spinach & Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms


From Joyful Healthy Eats. What an inspiring website name! I'm trying this for tea tonight. I've never liked mushrooms much so I'm hoping stuffing them with lots of my favourite things will help.

So there we go! Polenta is also very useful, microwaveable lentil packs, beetroot, ready roll puff pastry and pesto. And cheese. Lots of cheese. If you eat meat free food, please feel free to point me in the direction of some delicious recipes.

Note: If I have a child I'm going to call it Saskia and fully expect it to eat quinoa for dinner and sliced peppers for snacks.

5 comments:

Shes Dressing Up said...

Oh gosh, these recipes all look delicious!

The Brunette said...

Those meals look delicious x

Sophie in the Sticks said...

You don't like pasta Helen? I thought I knew you!!!
I've been thinking of trying (ideally making) gnocchi for some time now, it sounds really yum.
To be honest we either eat meat or fish but rarely neither as a main meal, Chris is a bit funny about veggie meals *rolls eyes* x

Gems - Fashion Well Done said...

I make a meat free pasta or gnocchi bake at least once a week. Like you it is not for health reasons, they are just super tasty and saves some money.
I love the look of the mushrooms...nom nom!

Gems x
Fashion, Well Done

Maria Fallon said...

These all look delicious, I love gnocchi so I am going to have to give these a go!

Maria xxx